The BIG HAIR Days........



So, here I was driving in the car....... deep in thought when Prince comes on the radio.  Of course, I turn it up..... "that's my jam"!!  The next song comes on..... and I know the words to this one too. Madonna!!  That is when I realized the radio station is tuned to an 80's station.  My husband must have found it... and can I say.. Way to Go!    As I drive along jamming out and singing along to the musicians and songs of my day I started thinking about how I have officially become O-L-D!   I realize the music of the 80's is who I am... the roller skating rink, the massive amounts of hairspray.. and metallic pink lipstick.  The bigger the hair, the better!  I secretly think there was an unspoken competition of who had the highest bangs... LOL  I remember going outside to hang out with friends... long summers by the pool with a baby oil/iodine combination for the darkest tan possible... jamming out to our boombox and Billy Idol!  (don't forget the Sun-In)  Cold Diet Cokes and frozen snickers bars from the snack bar......... and having that one friend who had a car and a license... that could take us all to Mickie D's to hang out with the rest of the crowd.    Ahhhh those were the days!

The movies of the 80's were the best!  Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, Better off Dead, A Christmas Story, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.... Freddy Krueger haunted many dreams in that era.   My family and I could quote the movies..... in a split second you could be in a group conversation and any one of us would rattle a line.... which would cause an explosion of laughter as the quote fit for the moment.

I remember sitting on the kitchen counter to talk to my friends... because the phone's had cords.. nothing wireless yet.  Pay-phones were our source of communication when we needed a ride... movie theaters still had the big red velvet drapes that would open at the beginning of the movie... as if to announce the grand beginning of the show... it added to the suspense of the show....

Now I can't retain the lyrics of the music of today... I don't know the artists... but maybe that is because I don't have a connection to it.  I am an adult, a wife, a mother, a grandmother...... and my life is busy.  I feel like music doesn't connect with me the way it did when I was younger.  Maybe attribute it to the raging hormones and emotions of a teenager... that break ups ended in tears when Prince's Purple Rain came on the radio..... Now, I love the beat of a good song to keep me going... to drive too... to clean the house too...... but nothing like the song that my husband and I share from our days together in the 80's to get us dancing....

Sigh.... Music is designed to connect, to share a story... to connect to us..... but... my music is the music of the 80's.  A simpler time........ a time on the golf course at night to watch the stars.... sitting up for hours into the early morning talking with girlfriends at a slumber party.... even the occassional prank.... nothing like a good ole frozen bra  or oreo filling swapped out with toothpaste to keep the party going.

What is your connection?  What is your story?  What makes you........ You!?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY DON'T CHICKEN BREASTS HAVE NIPPLES?