"Pull My Finger".........................



The area that I live is considered to be a retirement community.  Most of the people in my town are of retirement age....... (I am not of retirement age....... I am a 40 something..... and this year we are empty nesters; just to paint the picture)

Imagine walking into the common room of a retirement home as a "non-gray haired".... and imagine the awkward stares.......... yea..... so that is what happens when you walk into any of the restaurants in my town during season.  We have a flock of snowbirds that come down to our area usually October through the end of March.  We do like having them here, they boost our economy and let's face it.... we don't have much of a crime increase when they are here.  No loud parties!!

My girlfriend recently came to visit, and we thought we would stop and have a drink on our way home after shopping....... my girlfriend is single.... so a place with "possibilities" is always a good stop.  However, we walked into a sea of "gray haireds"... and she says to me... "girl, we have got to get you out of this town"... LOL  

Now, I like my town, I actually love my town.  I love the slow pace lifestyle and the short 15 minute drive to some of the most beautiful beaches in the area........... but........... I am not quite ready for soft foods or food with very little flavor.  I swear our restaurants have two menu's....... one for when the snowbirds are here, and one for when they are not.

One of the many things I enjoy about the snowbirds are the conversations.  They have reached an age where modesty is out the window!!  I love it!  They speak loudly, especially the men because they are hard of hearing..... so it is easy to hear everything they say..... and even easier when you are in the circle of conversation.

Recent topics included the following; constipation, prostate exams, gas, enemas, denture cream and how the green chili at the local mexican restaurant impacts the rest of their afternoon.  My twenty something offspring want to crawl under the table whenever their Grandfather partakes in these conversations within earshot!  Apparently the type of beer the men at the Moose drink affects the frequency of trips to the mens room.....   Road trips have more stops... dinner hours start at 4:00 pm for the Senior Specials and naps have never been better... Actually, as I get older I have to admit... naps are pretty cool!  

I get a kick out of the multi-generational gatherings... and watching the "gray haireds" tease and embarrass their granddaughters about the recent boy sightings....... or watching the weathered, leathered hands of a "gray haired" hold a sweet infant or hold each others hands.  The circle of life has shown me that we tend to take life way too seriously when we are raising our own children in hopes of raising successful adults who do not end up on the front page of mugshots.com.... that we forget to laugh at the little things... children and "gray haireds" have it right.  Let go of that modesty.... a little... laugh A LOT... and enjoy life.  Nap more... eat earlier... or later... not just because the restaurant says dinner time is 5 to 8 pm.  Have that piece of cake......... drink that glass of wine... eat that extra piece of bacon.  When was the last time you sat outside just to watch for a shooting star... or watch for satellites?  How about played a prank on your husband or wife?  One time our daughter taped one of the cats' stuff mouse toys to the inside of the cupboard... so when my husband opened it....... that thing came flying out!!!!! It was hilarious!  

Have fun!  Laugh at the little things....... and the next time a "gray haired" says to you....... "pull my finger"... do it!!!!!!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY DON'T CHICKEN BREASTS HAVE NIPPLES?