SWFL a Sea of BINGO Halls?



One of the many things you will notice when arriving in SWFL, along with the beautiful beaches, the outdoor dining, fishing, dolphin watching, golfing, parasailing, Parrot Head Clubs, and Tiki bars are  "The BINGO Halls"!

My father-in-law introduced me to bingo at the Moose Lodge about 7 years ago... it was fun Thursday night entertainment, cheap drinks and winnings to be had.  But, one thing always stands out to me... the sea of gray hairs....

Admittedly, at first I felt uncomfortable and felt like I was in the wrong spot.. how could a crowd of 70 somethings be fun?   Let me be the first to say, Age is JUST a number.  I think I found my people!

This is a group of people who have lived their lives as professionals, military men and women, truck drivers, secretaries, Mom's and Dad's, now Grandma and Grandpa, or even GREAT Grandparents... they come to SWFL from all parts of the country to call the Sunshine State home.  Some have accents making easy to identify the Patriots fans from the Cowboys fans.  Where ever they have come from, or what they did in their "working era"... this group of people LOVES to have fun!   Bingo becomes one crazy party.  The jokes are dirty, the language is strong, the laughter is deafening.  Between each game comes a rush to the bar to freshen the drinks before the next game starts or jump out to sneak the cigarette their wife thinks they gave up.

They swap stories of golf outings, that HUGE fish they caught, the most recent political dramatics, hemorrhoid treatments, weight loss management techniques due to escalating blood sugar levels, and their next cruise they are going on. I laugh and shake my head, as the only 40 something in the crowd, I love their brutal honesty and their genuine passion for fun.

This is the era where 70 is the new 50 ... so I have been told... a group of people who are comfortable in their skin, confident in themselves, and show their care and affection for each other through laughter, a pat on the back, a hug when their friend returns from a 3 month visit back north.  Familiar faces sharing stories of their vacations and catching up right where they left off....

Some BINGO players are armed with their lucky troll dolls, and their color coded dobbers... some wear their lucky BINGO shirt and take it all very seriously... but, most... are their for fun and seeing friends.  We have lots of fun together and I am so grateful for my new friends in SWFL.

However, you can bet if you are the lucky one to call BINGO... they will be the first to call BULLSHIT!  LOL    Take your card to the front for verification please.... then off we go again!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY DON'T CHICKEN BREASTS HAVE NIPPLES?